It’s hard to say goodbye—we already know that based on television, movies, and personal experiences. There are songs explicitly created to detail the difficulty in saying goodbye to someone, especially regarding a breakup.
Oftentimes, it’s hard to say goodbye because the actual words are harsh and unsettling. Many people would rather not say “it’s over” to someone we loved or once loved. Then there are other times, when you’re upset or hurt, that you’d like to shout it’s over from the rooftops. When you’re not sure how you feel or how to express yourself, finding the right words can help you move through it. That’s why we’ve put together this list of it’s over quotes and breakup quotes to help you say goodbye.
Here are a few ways for you to say that it’s over, to yourself or someone else:
Wise words from children’s literature.
Characters from children’s literature may not seem like the most obvious place to go to for advice on saying goodbey, but when you look deeper, you”ll see that they are. To say goodbye in a way that tugs on the heartstrings, look to some of these breakup quotes.
- “How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard?” A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh
- “Goodbye always makes my throat hurt.” Charles Schulz, Charlie Brown
- “Someone always leaves.” Charles Schulz, Charlie Brown
- “You said you’d always be there for me, but you’re not.” The Lion King
- “I’ll remember you, though. I remember everyone that leaves.” Lilo and Stitch
- “Goodbye may seem forever, farewell is like the end. But my heart is a memory and there you’ll always be.” The Fox and the Hound
Famous people and famous quotes.
Famous quotes are well-known for a reason. If you’re writing a letter or a card and want to look to the wise words that have been passed down through the ages, here are some great options.
- “If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello.” Paulo Coehlo
- “So for now I say goodbye to this chapter of my life and I look forward to what comes next.” Brooke Davis
- “It’s time to say goodbye, but I think goodbyes are sad and I’d much rather say hello. Hello to a new adventure.” Ernie Harwell
- “Saying goodbye doesn’t mean anything. It’s the time we spent together that matters, not how we left it.” Trey Parker
- “The story of life is quicker than the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.” Jimi Hendrix
- “It feels right, but it’s emotional. Saying goodbye to anything you’ve done that long is hard.” Angela Ruggiero
- “Could we see when and where we are to meet again, we would be more tender when we bid our friends goodbye.” Ouida
- “I’ve become more comfortable as time has gone on with saying goodbye because I’ve been having so many conversations about the cyclical nature of life. It just keeps going.” Brie Larson
- “History never really says goodbye. History says see you later.” Eduardo Galeano
- “We only part to meet again.” John Gay
- “Where is the good in goodbye?” Meredith Wilson
- “There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.” Mahatma Gandhi
- “It’s the emptiest, and yet the fullest of all human messages: Good-bye.” Kurt Vonnegut
- “This is not a goodbye, my darling, this is a thank you.” Nicholas Sparks
- “Farewell is a beautiful and a soft word and yet it is a horrible and heavy thing too!” Mehmet Ildan
- “I find wisdom in the waves. Goodbye is a hello to a life without you.” Jarod Kintz
- “Bless those who walk away from you, they are making room for those who won’t.” Unknown
- “One kind kiss before we part, drop a tear, and bid adieu.” Robert Dodsley
- “Goodbye is the last time I will hold you near.” Celine Dion
- “You can only lose what you cling to.” Buddha
- “In the process of letting go, you will lose many things from the past, but you will find yourself.” Deepak Chopra
Speak from the heart.
There are some phrases and quotes that will apply more than others. Lean on these to help you project and heal.
- “Someday you’ll see the reason why, there’s good in goodbye.”
- “Every goodbye always makes the next hello closer.”
- “There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.”
- “Thank you for being a part of my life.”
- “You will always be a part of me.”
- “I don’t want to say goodbye. I want to say thank you.”
- “You will always be in my heart, but now, it is time to move on.”
- “I will always love you.”
- “I will miss you always.”
- “It’s time for us to part.”
- “You will always have a big part of my heart.”
- “I wish you well, but it is time for me to go.”
- “I mean it when I say this: I love you, I will miss you, but it is time for goodbye.”
- “I have to say goodbye now.”
- “I will never forget you.”
- “Please don’t be angry, but it is time for us to part.”
- “It’s not your fault, and it’s not mine. But it’s time for us to go on.”
- “There is no preparation for departure.”
- “I don’t want to say goodbye, but I do want to say, ‘see you soon.’”
- “I want to leave you with these words.”
- “I can’t ask you to stay, and I know you want to leave.”
- “Thank you for what you’ve given me.”
- “I cannot say goodbye to someone who has shaped me so much.”
- “I will always think of you.”
- “This isn’t working out—for either of us.”
- “I love you, but this is no longer healthy for either of us.”
- “Love is different than function. I love you, but this isn’t functional anymore.”
- “It’s hard to say this, but I’m ready to move on.”
- “I’m ready to say goodbye.”
- “It’s over.”
- “What we have created together is so special, and now it is time to let it be.”
- “Let’s go after tomorrow.”
- “Change is hard, but it is fulfilling.”
Breaking up with someone isn’t easy. There are a wide range of emotions that come with letting someone go. Whether you are the one to initiate the breakup, or you are the one to experience that loss without much of say, it is important to express yourself. These quotes are sad, direct, emotional, fulfilling, and hopefully will provide you with the capacity to heal. Make them your own. Use them in your own life. Embrace the change. You will get through this.