Maybe you’ve just been through a break up, or maybe you’re simply far from the one you love. Either way, sometimes there’s nothing that quite eases the pain like I miss you songs.
Whether someone you care about has gone away for a short time or the person you love has left you for good, the absence of someone you care about leaves you with an obvious hole to fill—and that’s where music and art comes in. Everyone has missed somebody at some point in their life. Luckily some of us have written down our troubles, and a select few have even put them into song.
This playlist of over 60 unique songs about missing someone showcases famous, and not-so-famous I miss you songs from multiple artists and genres.
I Miss You Songs: The Ultimate Countdown
1. “I’m Gonna Miss You When You’re Gone,” Patti Griffin
“There’s gonna be some rainy Sundays wishing and wondering, when I’ll see you again.”
2. “Ain’t No Sunshine,” Bill Withers
“And she’s always gone too long, anytime she goes away.”
3. “Darling Be Home Soon,” The Lovin’ Spoonful
“I’ve been waiting since I toddled for the great relief of having you to talk to.”
4. “The Bed’s Too Big Without You,” The Police
“I get through day but late at night.
Made love to my pillow but it didn’t feel right.”
5. “Where Are You Tonight?” Bob Dylan
“The truth was obscure,
too profound and too pure,
to live it you have to explode.”
6. “The First Days of Spring,” Noah and the Whale
“And though I love you, and you know that.
Well, I no longer know what that’s worth.”
7. “Stardust,” Nat King Cole
“Love is now the stardust of yesterday, the music of the years gone by.”
8. “Wish You Were Here,” Pink Floyd
“We’re just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl year after year.”
9. “Missing,” Beck
“Something always takes the place of missing pieces you can take and put together even though you know there’s something missing.”
10. “Sweet Dreams (Of You),” Patsy Cline
“I should hate you the whole night through
instead of having sweet dreams about you.”
11. “The Sun Ain’t Gonna Shine Anymore,” The Walker Brothers
“Emptiness is the place you’re in.
Nothing to lose, but no more to win.”
12. “Can’t Get Used to Losing You,” Andy Williams
“I’ll find somebody, wait and see.
Who am I kiddin’, only me.”
13. “Fire and Rain,” James Taylor
“I’ve seen lonely times when I could not find a friend.
|But I always thought that I’d see you again.”
14. “Rosanna,” Toto
“I didn’t know you were looking for more than I could ever be.”
15. “The Sound of Your Memory,” Willie Nelson
“And ever since I met you my life’s been a song.
A sad song, a love song with hate in between.”
16. “Don’t Find Another Love,” Tegan and Sara
“You can find me on the edge tonight.
You could talk me off the ledge tonight. If you wanted to.”
17. “Yesterday,” The Beatles
“Yesterday love was such an easy game to play.
Now I need a place to hide away.”
18. “The Promise,” Tracy Chapman
“If you miss me once in a while, then I’ll return to you.
I’ll return and fill that space in your heart.”
19. “These Days,” Jackson Browne
“Now if I seem to be afraid to live the life I have made in song.
Well, it’s just that I’ve been losing so long.”
20. “Reminds Me of You,” Van Morrison
“I miss you so much, when I’m singing my song.”
21. “I Miss You,” Beyoncé
“It don’t matter who you are.
It’s so simple a feeling. But it’s everything”
22. “Wishing the Days Away,” Billy Brag
“There’s always room for one more soul down in the human zoo.
I don’t want you to come here though. I want to come home to you.”
23. “Once I Was,” Tim Buckley
“Once I was a lover, and I searched behind your eyes for you.
And soon there’ll be another, to tell you I was just a lie.”
24. “These Foolish Things,” Sam Cooke
“Oh, how the ghost of you clings.”
25. “Thinking About You,” Radiohead
“I’m played out and bleed to please you.”
26. “I Still Miss Someone,” Johnny Cash
“I go out on a party and look for a little fun,
but I find a darkened corner ’cause I still miss someone.”
27. “Always Something There to Remind Me,” Naked Eyes
“Just go back to the places where we used to go and I’ll be there.”
28. “My First Night Alone Without You,” Bonnie Raitt
“Honey, half of me has gone away.”
29. “Miss You,” Rolling Stones
“I’ve been holding out so long.
I’ve been sleeping all alone. Lord I miss you.”
30. “It’s a Lonesome Old Town,” Frank Sinatra
“I never knew how much I missed you, but now I can plainly see it’s a lonesome old town when you’re not around.”
31. “See You Sometime,” Joni Mitchell
“It hurts, but something survives.
Though it’s undermined, I’d still like to see you sometime.”
32. “Dreamin’ of You,” Bob Dylan
“Feel further away than I ever did before.
Feel further than I can take.”
33. “Lonesome Day,” Bruce Springsteen
“That taste on your tongue don’t easily slip away.”
34. “Only the Lonely,” Roy Orbison
“Only the lonely know this feeling ain’t right.”
35. “Those Memories of You,” Trio
“It’s not your lips now that drive me crazy.
It’s just your haunting memory.”
36. “I Miss You,” Randy Newman
“It’s a little bit cold for all those concerned, but I’d sell my soul and your soul for a song. So I’ll pour my heart out.”
37. “Miss You Much,” Janet Jackson
“Send it in a letter baby, tell you on the phone.
I’m not the kinda girl who likes to be alone.”
38. “All I Want,” Kodaline
“But If you loved me, why did you leave me?”
39. “Pain In My Heart,” Otis Redding
“Pain in my heart is treating me cold.
Where can my baby be? Lord no one knows.”
40. “There’s a Tear In My Beer,” Hank Williams
“I’m gonna keep drinkin’ till I can’t move a toe and then maybe my heart won’t hurt me so.”
41. “Don’t Get Around Much Anymore,” Harry Connick Jr.
“Thought I’d visit the club, got as far as the door.
They’d have asked me about you. Don’t get around much anymore.”
42. “So Far Away,” Carole King
“One more song about moving along the highway.
Can’t say much of anything that’s new.”
43. “Missing You,” Green Day
“Lost my nerve. It’s un-nerving.”
44. “Need You Now,” Lady Antebellum
“Guess I’d rather hurt than feel nothing at all.”
45. “The Same Old Song,” Four Tops
“All you left is our favorite song.”
46. “Like They Used To,” Joshua Radin
“I want my clothes to smell like you do. Like they used to.”
47. “These Empty Days,” Crosby, Stills, & Nash
“I can’t deal with it. I can’t bear to feel this way.
I can’t deal with it. I can ‘t fill these empty days.”
48. “Far From Me,” Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
“So far from me. Way across some cold neurotic sea.”
49. “When She Loved Me,” Sarah McLachlan
“So the years went by. I stayed the same, but she began to drift away.”
50. “Unchained Melody,” The Righteous Brothers
“Time goes by so slowly, and time can do so much. Are you still mine?”
51. “I Miss You So,” Etta Jones
“I’ll always love you and want you too.
How much you’ll never know.”
52. “Somebody’s Missing You,” Dolly Parton
“In case you’re wondering, somebody’s missing you.
Really, really, really, really missing you.”
53. “How I Miss You,” Foo Fighters
“Do you miss me, like I miss you?
If you miss me, never go away.”
54. “Somebody’s Always Saying Goodbye,” Anne Murray
“Just when you’ve got a real good thing, somebody’s always sayin’ goodbye.”
55. “How I Miss You Baby,” Bobby Womack
“I wanna say sorry. Oh, but it ain’t a strong enough word.
For once in my life I’m so sincere and I mean every word.”
56. “Did She Mention My Name,” Gordon Lightfoot
“And by the way, did she mention my name.”
57. “Missing You,” John Waite
“I ain’t missing you at all since you’ve been gone away.”
58. “With or Without You,” U2
“Sleight of hand and twist of fate, on a bed of nails she makes me wait. And I wait, without you.”
59. “It’s You I Miss,” Fleetwood Mac
“I have so many questions about love and about pain.
About strained relationships. About fame.”
60. “Only On Days that End In Y,” Clay Walker
“The only time I ever miss you, honey, is when I’m alone or when I’m with somebody.”
61. “Who Knew,” P!nk
“If someone said three years from now you’d be long gone, I’d stand up and punch them out.”
62. “Memories of You,” Rosemary Clooney
“How I wish I could forget those, those happy yesteryears.”
63. “Alabama Rain,” Jim Croce
“But now and then I find myself, thinkin’ of the days.”
64. “Please Come to Boston,” Dave Loggins
“Now this drifter’s world goes ’round and ’round and I doubt that it’s ever gonna stop.”
65. “Gosh, I Miss You All the Time,” Jim & Jesse
“When I’m feeling lonely, thinking of you only. That’s when I miss you most.”
66. “Since I Feel For You,” Nina Simone
“I guess I’ll never be the same since I fell for you.”
67. “I Call Your Name,” The Mamas & The Papas
“I never weep at night, I call your name.”
Hopefully, by the time you’ve listened to all 67 of these I miss you songs, your melancholia will have lifted a little. Or… maybe it’ll have gotten worse. Either way: keep your chin up, and focus on the future. I miss you songs can’t heal your heart completely; only time can do that. Hang in there – it’ll get easier day by day!