Even though you’re browsing and messaging from behind a computer screen doesn’t mean you can’t generate more interest with some flirting. Simone Kornfeld and Ariel Kiley, authors of Smitten: Way of the Brilliant Flirt, share flirting tips to help you take your online conversation offline. To up your online game, try their top 5 online flirting tips:
1. Be Specific in Your Profile: Adding little details will help spark conversation. Instead of saying “I like to cook”, say “When I studied in Paris for three months, I learned how to make the best creme brulee.” Being extra specific will make it easier for your date to ask the right questions and start the conversation.
2. Ask Quirky Questions: If you ask generic questions like, “What do you do for fun?”, you’ll get a generic, bland response. Flirting is not meant to be bland, so ask a quirky question instead. If the profile you like shows your guy on a boat, you might ask, “Where’s the best place to sail?”, or “Where do you want to go next?” Avoiding yes or no questions will help you move into a conversation and make it even easier for you to experience some real chemistry.
3. Be Decisive, Not Wishy Washy: Keep online exchanges short and sweet, then set up a meeting as soon as you’re interested. It’s impossible to feel the full on connection over a computer screen, so don’t waste time–be bold and make a date. Or, if you’d rather the other person initiate, say: “Just so you know, if you ask me out I’ll say yes.” Being clear about your intentions is the first step towards getting what you want.
4. Give Compliments: If you think he looks like a rock star in his tuxedo, tell him. If you think her artwork is especially impressive, let her know. If you love his hair or adore the shape of her nose, say it. Compliments make people feel special. Don’t be afraid to authentically flatter your online crush; it’s a good thing to admire and be admired.
5. Be Enthusiastic and Upfront: After you’ve confirmed plans for a date, say that you’re looking forward to it! Showing your enthusiasm for the meeting will help your date relax and feel excited. Make the planning easier by texting back promptly, instead of making your date wait on your confirmation.