One-on-one first dates are brilliant. Whether you choose an activity, go for a meal, or simply relax and have a few drinks, they’re great for getting to know each other and seeing whether you share a connection. Sometimes, however, they can be a little…intense. You might feel pressured to be on your best behavior and find it difficult to let your guard down. Fortunately, there’s a very simple way around this: Trying out some fun double date ideas.
Double dates – in which you and your date both bring a friend to introduce to one another – are far more relaxed. Often, our friends bring out the best in us. When you go on a double date, the focus is no longer on the pair of you trying to fill the awkward silence with conversation starters. Suddenly, it’s all about having fun and sharing some laughs in the sunshine.
If you’re struggling to come up with some good double date ideas, we’ve put together a pretty extensive list below to give you some inspiration. Good luck!
Fun Double Date Ideas
The following double date ideas emphasize pure fun – we’re talking outdoorsy adventures, new experiences, and a lot of laughter.
1. Grill up a storm with a barbecue
2. Go bouldering at a climbing gym
3. Head out on a hike
4. Take a class in rope climbing
5. Head out to the theatre and catch a show
6. Head to an open mic night
7. Hit up a comedy show
8. Play frisbee golf
9. Try your hand at axe throwing
10. Get cultured with a wine tasting class
11. Impress your date with a cooking class
12. Get a little bit ‘Ghost’ with a pottery class
13. Watch an ice hockey game
14. Spice things up with salsa classes
15. Go to a nightclub and light up the dancefloor
16. Go bowling and show off your skills
17. Challenge yourselves to an escape room
18. Dance like nobody’s watching at a gig or concert
19. Play laser tag
20. Go on a street food crawl (pro tip – wear comfy pants!)
Cute Double Date Ideas
Next up, we’ve selected a handful of cute double date ideas for when you want to share special experiences and make wholesome happy memories.
21. Wander through a flea market (for a fun challenge, see who can buy the weirdest item)
22. Hire bicycles and go on a ride through the countryside
23. Have a picnic at a botanical garden or park
24. Play board games in a bar
25. Explore a museum (the ones with interactive exhibits are best)
26. Take a sushi-making class
27. Drift along in a hot air balloon
28. Take a walking tour of a city
29. Head out for the day on a street art tour
30. Rent boats and float along a river or lake
31. Take a disposable camera each and explore somewhere beautiful
32. Take a painting class together
33. Visit an art gallery and make a note of the artworks you each enjoyed most – then compare after
34. Pack a rucksack and head out camping in nature
35. Head to the beach and chill out on the sand…
36. …Or head to the beach and go surfing!
37. Take a team spa day and enjoy some real relaxation
38. Head to a language class and try to pick up the basics. Don’t be shy!
Double Date Ideas at Home
Prefer to keep things local and low-key? Try these double date ideas at home – they’re fun, flirty, and easy on the wallet!
39. Bake cookies, cakes, and more in the kitchen
40. Each person brings a board game to play
41. Set up a video games tournament (Mario Kart is a must)
42. Hold a sophisticated dinner party where each person cooks one course
43. Set up a movie marathon, each person chooses a film
45. Share embarrassing childhood photos and tell the stories behind them
46. Introduce your pets to one another (just make sure there are no mouse/snake combinations!)
47. Tell scary stories
48. Play ‘Two Truths and a Lie’
49. Book club: all read the same book ahead of the date, then discuss how you felt about it and answer prepared questions
Wild Double Date Activities
And finally, we come to the wild double date activities. These are for those days when you’re feeling extroverted, bold, and full of energy. These are sure to bring the laughs and give you a chance to show your adventurous side. Enjoy!
50. Up the tempo with a bottomless brunch
51. Don fancy dress and head out on a bar crawl
52. Drop your clothes and model for a life drawing class
53. Leap into action with a day out paintballing
54. Raise the stakes with strip poker
55. Join a ghost walk around the city
56. One word: Skydive
Get Creative and Spice up Date Night!
Coming up with the best double date ideas isn’t always easy. But hopefully, this list will have got the cogs turning. For a really memorable, cool date idea, try combining several activities! Start off wholesome and up the pace as the day goes on. Or, go big to begin, then wind down in the evening and get nice and cozy.
Whichever way you choose to go, getting creative and adventurous can really help to spice up date night. Happy dating!