The usual Tinder opening lines just don’t cut it anymore. In the noisy world of online dating, the typical “Hey, how you doing?” will struggle to help you stand out from the crowd. More often than not, the best way to get noticed is to be a little bit different.
Generally speaking, men still tend to send the first message. This often results in women being bombarded with so many variations of the same messages that a lot can get lost in the shuffle. If you don’t put some real thought and effort into your Tinder opening lines, you’ll often end up in the no pile before you’ve even had a chance to show someone who you really are.
To give you some inspiration, we’ve put together a quick guide on how to create an eye-catching Tinder opening line, as well as a list of our favorite opening lines to help you get your creativity flowing!
How to Write Good Tinder Opening Lines
To create a Tinder opening line that works, it’s important to try to tick all of the following three boxes:
- It makes her instantly feel something.
- It’s easy to respond to.
- It’s creative and/or humorous.
This might seem easy but it can be more challenging than you might think. If you’re stuck for ideas or need some examples, we’ve put together a list of our favorite Tinder opening lines to help you get started.
50+ Tinder Opening Lines to Try
- Titanic. That’s my icebreaker. What’s up?
- Hey so let’s just skip to the important stuff. What’s your favorite Spice Girls song?
- You get a 3-day weekend. Are you heading for the mountains, the beach, or sleeping till noon?
- I’m bad at this, so I’m going to buck the trend and let you make the first move, if that’s okay.
- Do you have an ugly boyfriend? No? Want one?
- So I see you like The West Wing. Do you identify more with Josh or Toby?
- Love the photo of you in Venice! What was the best restaurant you went to there?
- Hawaiian or pepperoni?
- Are you my appendix? Because I don’t know anything about you but this feeling in my gut is telling me that I should take you out.
- So we both like Harry Potter. If we ever end up role-playing I want to be Dobby.
- Did you know tourism officials in Tasmania are seeking someone to fill the position of ‘Chief Wombat Cuddler’ for an orphaned wombat?
- [if she’s wearing a hat] Hey, I like the way you wear your hat. It makes you look like you’re plotting something. Want to help me kidnap three puppies?
- If we were to go out for dinner, where would we go?
- I’m new to this city, can you show me the way to your heart?
- Do you read Dr. Seuss? Cause green eggs and DAMNNN GIRL.
- I recognize you from Andy’s party a few months ago! Am I right?
- Hey, what have you been up to today? I just saved a baby duck from drowning.
- I’m told girls love seeing pictures of baby animals? [insert picture of a puppy here]
- Let’s cut this bullshit and just meet for a drink?
- Hey. So when our friends ask us how we met, what are we going to tell them?
- On a scale from 1 to 10, you’re a 9 and I’m the 1 you need.
- You’ve just won a free trip to anywhere in the world! (Not from me, it’s coming in the mail.) The catch is you have to leave tomorrow. Where are you headed?
- Are you a 0% APR loan? Because I’m having trouble understanding your terms and you aren’t showing any interest.
- I woke up thinking today was just another boring Monday, and then I saw your photo on my app.
- Soon there will be married couples whose how-we-met story is “we both swiped right, and then he asked me to marry him.” I’m not gonna ask, but it’s tempting.
- On a scale of 1 to “Hey you in the bushes!” how creepy have your interactions on Tinder been so far?
- I don’t normally contact people on this, but I find you very intriguing.
- Dark chocolate, turtle cheesecake, or Cherry Garcia? If you had to choose…
- Hey how’s your day so far? I just got a haircut without running it by my mom. I feel like such a badass.
- How does a person like me get a date with someone like you?
- What’s a smart, attractive man/woman like myself doing without your number?
- [knife and fork emoji x 4] I’ve got all these forks and knives, all I need is a little spoon.
- I was trying to come up with a good Tinder opening line but then I realized they’re lame so all I have to give you is a hello and this shrug. Hello. [insert shrug emoji]
- Does this mean we’re exclusive? 😉
- I ate an entire box of mini tacos last night and I wasn’t even high.
- Hi, I’d like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.
- I just saw the best upsexy ever [hopefully gets a confused reply like, “what’s up sexy?”]
- If two vegetarians have a fight, is it still called a beef?
- Two truths and a lie: ready, set, go!
- Could you date someone who orders a plain bagel with plain cream cheese when they have other options?
- I can feel you staring at my profile from here.
- Katy Perry or Taylor Swift?
- Your Sunday breakfast personality is, A) Waffles & pancakes, slowly savored. B) Apple & granola bar on the run. C) Aggressive mimosas. D) Sleeping til lunch.
- [if she doesn’t respond the first time] We just matched and you’re already playing hard to get?!
- My friends would be jealous if you went out with me.
- Has anyone ever told you that you look like [fill in name of obscure actor/actress].
- Phew! I almost swiped left and had a heart attack! Saved at the last minute.
- Hope you like cheesy pickup lines, because if you were a fruit you’d be a fineapple.
- Your natural beauty radiates from my phone. I just got an instant tan from your glow. BRB applying aloe vera.
- I would totally let you take me to brunch tomorrow.
- This is so us. Me doing all the talking. You sitting there looking all cute.
Stay Positive and Find a Way That Works for You
You might be sending the best Tinder opening lines the world has ever seen, and STILL not get a reply. Don’t let that bruise your ego. Keep going! Follow up if you’re still keen. Then move on. Some people hate cheesy pick-up lines, while others think they’re cute. Be yourself and find out what works for you and the people you’re interested in. After all, there’re plenty of incredible single people out there who’re ready and waiting to reply. You just have to try it and see!
*The Date Mix is owned by Zoosk, Inc. Zoosk, Inc. is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Tinder, or any of their subsidiaries or affiliates. Tinder is a registered trademark of their respective owners.