There’s no getting around it, the dating app Tinder is hugely popular. As of the end of 2018, Tinder statistics showed that the app had over 57 million users worldwide, processed around 1.6 billion swipes a day, which resulted in 1 million people going on dates each week. And now that we’re into 2019, those numbers are only growing higher. When you’re using Tinder yourself, however, it doesn’t always feel like the numbers are so high.
Sure, there are a lot of people on the app saying yes or nope to you—which can be good since that means there’s potentially a large pool of people for you to choose from. But it can also mean you have a lot more competition, a lot more fake Tinder profiles to deal with, and a lot more confusion about what’s the best way to actually meet someone and go a date using the app.
If you’re looking for some easy ways to stand out from the crowd and get the most of of Tinder, there are few things you can do to get a leg up on your competition. Some are more obvious, while others require knowing a little bit more about how dating apps work behind the scenes.
Tinder has changed a lot in the past year, adding new features and updating the way they match people. If you want to know how to date on Tinder in 2019, here are the best Tinder hacks to help you get ahead:
1. Use the algorithm to your advantage.
We don’t know absolutely everything about the Tinder algorithm but in a March 2019 blog post, Tinder released a few key pieces of information about how they’ve updated it, that does change a lot about how you should use the app.
The number one thing the algorithm takes into account is your activity. If you’re active on the app, send messages to people you match with, and respond to messages you’re sent, then you’re more likely to get matched with other active and desirable people on the app. A lot of people join Tinder out of curiosity or just to see who they match with, and Tinder wants to make sure they’re not showing active daters people who are a waste of their time.
That means, the well known Tinder hack of swiping right on everyone you see to get more matches doesn’t work anymore.
Tinder’s algorithm can easily see that you’re not messaging all the people you match with. And since the algorithm matches people who use the app in a similar way, you may start getting shown people who never or rarely message their matches back too. Which brings us to our next hack…
2. Always message your matches. (And at the right time.)
Not only will messaging help you get matched with other active users who also tend to message back, but it can also help you in other ways. Whether you’re a man or a woman, it’s always better to message someone you match with right away.
Also, after work or later at night are the best times to message people on dating apps. It’s tough for people to reply to a Tinder message while they’re at work or in class, but it’s also true that a lot of people have their notifications turned off and don’t even check their messages until they’re on their way home. That means, if you message them when they’re most likely to be checking, you’re more likely to be at the top of their inbox.
3. Add a prompt to your profile.
Let’s face it, it’s hard to come up with a creative first message after matching with someone on Tinder—so why not make it easier for someone who’s interested in you to make the first move? Add a question or a prompt to the end of your profile that says something like, “If you’re interested, tell me the last hike you went on,” or “I love talking about books, so if you want to start chatting just ask me what I’m reading.” People who may have wanted to message you but weren’t sure what to say, will be given an easy way to start a conversation, and you’ll have an easier time responding.
4. Avoid these four serious profile photo mistakes.
It’s no secret that photos are important on Tinder, but what many people don’t think about is that there’s a strategy to how you choose your photos. Data from various dating sites has shown a few key things:
– Don’t use a photo where you’re wearing a hat or sunglasses as your primary photo. Typically, anything that hides your face or makes it so someone can’t clearly see who you are, results in fewer matches.
– Use at least one full-body photo. People want to see you and a full sense of who you are a what you look at. Profiles that include a full-body photo can get up to 203% more incoming messages than the average.
– Be the only person in your photo. If people have to guess who you are, they’ll get annoyed and just move on. (And guys, don’t post a photo of yourself with a bunch of cheerleaders or other groups of looking women, it’s a major turn off for women on Tinder.)
Are you seeing a trend here? There are a lot of ways to choose a bad photo but the worst ways, the things that have the ability to hurt your chances the most, are by trying to hide yourself. People don’t want to guess at what you look like, and they don’t want to worry that you’re a fake profile or someone trying to hide something. So make sure you make it easy for them to see you.
5. Fork over the cash.
If you’re really looking for the quickest, easiest way to make more matches on Tinder, then Tinder’s paid features could be for you. They’re created to be small shortcuts that help you get ahead, and since Tinder has data that they actually do help you out, you may want to try them.
– Tinder Boost let’s you be one of the top profiles in your area for 30 minutes. And, according to Tinder, you can get up to 10 times more profile views while boosting.
– Tinder Super Like let’s someone know you reeeaaally like them, since you only get 1 to 5 a day. Supposedly, it helps you stand out and results in more matches, though Tinder doesn’t share any number in their FAQ.
– Likes You let’s you see who likes you before swiping. That way you can go through the list and make your choices to swipe right or left without wasting time on people who don’t like you.
Trying to meet someone on Tinder can seem like a lot of work, but once you learn how the app works you a better idea of how to make it work for you. Some of the short cuts that used to work in the best don’t anymore, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t new ways to beat the system. Try the five hacks above and see how you do. Come 2020 there may be a new batch to try out.