So you did it—you downloaded a few dating apps. You’re single and ready to mingle, or swipe, as it were. It seems like the matches are pouring in, but then you’re left with a feeling of intimidation. What should you say? Who should you reach out to? Who is worth your time? It can be intimidating. What to say? What to do? We can help.
There are so many ways to strike up a conversation with someone. Dating apps can make it seem both harder and easier to start a conversation like that. It’s hard to reach out to someone knowing you’re both potentially attracted to each other, but the important thing is to remember that you should be yourself, be genuine, and not be creepy. Don’t ask for too much identifying information or too many personal questions, especially if you’re a man speaking to a woman.
Here are some stellar opening lines and strategies to start a conversation on a dating app.
Use references from pop culture
- How you doin’? (Everyone loves a Friends reference.)
- What’s your favorite television show and why is it The Good Place? (Can be adjusted for your own favorite show.)
- What movie character do you most relate to?
- What was your favorite movie growing up?
- What’s the first movie you saw in the theater?
- Do you remember the first rated R movie you saw?
- What was your most recent Netflix binge?
- What’s your favorite comfort film?
- Did you watch [the Oscars/Grammys/most recent award show]?
- What’s the last movie that really made you cry?
Use bits from their own profile
- What made you get into your current career?
- It seems like you love the outdoors. What’s your favorite local hike?
- I love the restaurant you work at! How long have you been serving?
- What’s the most fulfilling part of being a teacher?
- Did you always know you wanted to be a doctor?
- It seems like you travel a lot, any trips on the docket?
Talk about your shared city
- Did you grow up in Seattle?
- As a fellow Chicagoan, I have to ask… which pizza place are you most loyal to?
- Did you also go to Name of Your High School?
- Since I’m new to the city, do you mind telling me your favorite ice-cream shop?
- What’s your favorite part of living in Nashville?
- Crazy weather we’ve been having lately, do you enjoy the snow?
Just be direct
- Do you prefer to chat for a bit on the app or do you want to get a drink and get to know each other the old-fashioned way?
- Do you mind if I ask you what you’re looking for on this app?
- Are you interested in meeting up for dinner this week?
Whether you go funny, lighthearted, genuine, or simple, you’ll make the right decision. Mix it up depending on the person you’re talking to and remember to let the conversation flow as naturally as possible. You can do it!